Child & Youth
Child & Youth
Aboriginal Child & Youth Wellness Program
The Aboriginal child and youth wellness program is a free service for all aboriginal children and youth in the south Okanagan. The goal of the program is to improve the quality of life of children and youth struggling with mental wellness concerns through delivery of holistically oriented supports and services. For more information please contact us.
Youth Leadership and Life Skills Program
The objective of the Ooknakane Friendship Centre’s Pre-Employment & Leadership Program is designed to provide Aboriginal youth between the ages of 16-24 with educational, skill development, social, and recreational opportunities within a culturally appropriate environment. This project aims to promote and assist in pre-employment and life skills and support healthy, productive lifestyles and attachment into the labour force in a fun and cooperative manner.
The Ooknakane Friendship Centre’s programs is to focus on reaching youth who are at risk of dropping out of the education system. Our Youth Program will be working with local agencies, First Nations, and School District 67 to Intake Aboriginal Youth applicants to the program.
The Youth Leadership and Life Skills Program assists Aboriginal youth in achieving their personal goals; identify barriers, learn to overcome challenges.
Students will be able to:
- Develop better self awareness
- Approach methods to gain employment
- Build a degree of confidence.
- Employment skills training.
- Renewing cultural connections.
- Gaining valuable life skills and outdoor activities on the land and water.
- Meaningful employment and improved healthy lifestyle choices.
- Prepare for work placement in a field of interest to the youth.
- Elders are engaged to present cultural life skills connection to cultural values mixed with new life skills.
Ongoing – Application forms are available at the Friendship Centre 146 Ellis Street, Penticton BC.
For further information, please contact:
Kevin Ned Youth Leadership Program Coordinator at (250) 490-3504